Saturday, May 9, 2009

Obelisco fiasco, lots of play time, no more cooking for me!

This morning I didn't cajole L back to sleep when she woke up -- although it took us both some time really awake. I wanted to get up a little earlier than we had been, in the hopes that nap time & bedtime could be a little earlier as well.

My stomach was feeling much better this morning - I ate my entire bowl of cereal. A good start. But there were, as usual, some rocky parts to the day.

I wanted to head for the Avenida Las Americas which is supposed to be a family hang out on the weekend. But it turned into what I am calling the "Obelisco fiasco".

Before heading there, we took a pit stop at the Los Proceres mall to use the bathroom. Plus it was like 9:30 and Las Americas was not supposed to start going until after 10.

Well the Avenida Las Americas is on the other side of the Plaza Obelisco from the Avenida Reforma. Obelisco is about 4 blocks from my hotel.

So, I thought, no problem. Funny me.

I didn't realize that you had to cross at a certain point to (1) get into the Plaza and (2) be able to walk through the park that is in the center of the Avenida Las Americas. This park is surrounded on both sides by 4 lanes of traffic and no traffic lights.

So we were on the outside of the Avenida, rather than on the inside where the park is. I was hoping to find somewhere to cross. After about 10 minutes of walking, I turned around and finally crossed into the Plaza Obelisco properly.

But I think it was just too early for people to really be there. And the park is really really long. So I think the section where there are playgrounds, etc., is pretty far away.

So we just hung out in the Obelisco looking at the big fountain there. We did make it a bit up into the park to see the Simon Bolivar monument. Oh well.

We returned to Proceres mall, because there is a grill place there that is always busy so I thought we'd try it for lunch. Oh, did I say I've given up cooking? Everything I cook is plain, and I hate the electric stove!

Well, this grill is busy - and even at 11 a.m. there was a long wait to order. I couldn't take waiting after trekking along that freakin' mini highway (Las Americas, that is). So I figured we could eat left over Chinese food for lunch.

Well, the warmed-up-in-the-microwave lemon chicken was NOT good. Plus I think I was too overheated and tired to eat. L ended up eating a lovely lunch of a banana, some vanilla cookies, and saltines. Me - saltines and lemon soda. Nice mother I am!

Naptime was good. I got her to sleep by 1 and I dozed for about 20 or 30 minutes. Then I watched a little bit of "Moonstruck" and "Nurse Betty" while she slept. Got a call from my friend, Rob, which was a very nice surprise.

After a nice nap of one-and-a-half hours, L woke up cheery and playful. The afternoon was a lot of playing with stickers and playdough.

Also, she's started this thing where she pretends she's going out (shopping bags in hand, and her baby doll, whom she calls "be-be-be," in her stroller). Sometimes she's wearing her Burger King crown, sometimes not. But you really never know when you will need your crown, right? She gives me a kiss on the lips and says "adios." Love it!

Since I've given up cooking, I thought we'd eat out for dinner. But when we stepped outside there was some loud thunder going on. So we bought tamales to bring home.

The usual bath and bed. Bedtime is still long. Like an hour to and hour-and-a-half. I think this is normal. But I hope in a couple months after coming home it will shorten a tad. Wishful thinking I know!

Tomorrow is Mother's Day, and it's going to be very special as it is my first official one. I wish Glenn could be here. But I know he is here in spirit.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers I know, and all the mothers that read this.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Mothers Day to you!!! I t hink the long bed time process is normal. My daughter has been home 14 months and is just over 2. It takes her that long most nights! Ugh! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy, I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!! I loved the story about the baby in the stroller and the bags and crown. What a sweet photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. It's really nice to "hear" from people!

    ReplyDelete