Saturday, May 2, 2009

Ahh, Antigua Guatemala!

Well yesterday afternoon was trying for me. I was feeling really homesick and just stayed in watching a movie while L. played.

My cousin Megan's plane was set to arrive at 9:30. So L & I had dinner (ugh, McDonald's again - thank God they have salads there) and then bath and bed.

I got her ready to leave around 8:45 p.m. She slept all the way to the airport and even for a few minutes after. But she was wide awake when Megan arrived.

With a new visitor here, L was very chatty and showing off a bit. Finally , already past 11, I decided to try to get her to sleep. That was a bear! But she did get there eventually.

Megan & I were both pretty beat. Got to bed past midnight.

This morning, we slept in later than usual of course. I took L out to the living room so not to wake Megan. And then Megan gave me a great gift -- nearly 45 minutes more sleep while she played with L! How wonderful.

Breakfast was next, and who was in the lobby when we were done but "Gina." She had asked for an advance on our final payment to her. We decided we were give her some money, but I deducted what I had to pay the doctor.

I also told her I had L's passport and medical exam. There was a look of surprise on her face. (See my post from Thursday about that!)

About a half-hour later, we were on our way to Antigua Guatemala. The ride was nice and we got here in what seemed like no time.

We arrived at our hotel, the Posada Don Rodrigo. It's an old hacienda that has been converted into a hotel. It is just lovely. Our room is off the inner courtyard with its bubbling fountains or "baba" (agua) as L calls them.

We then explored a little. Went to the main plaza. Went to the artesan market and bought a few things. Ate lunch at the La Fonda de la Calle. Both Megan & I had the "typical" plate of chile relleno, frijoles volteados, guacamol, arroz, y plátanos. I got pollo asado for L. But she hardly ate.

Back to the hotel for siesta. Took L about an hour to settle. She just sat in the crib singing & carrying on. Having a good old time. I was exhausted -- I think since Thursday I have just been releasing all the tension of the last two weeks.

Finally she settled and we both slept for a good long time while Megan chilled.

When we woke up it was nearly 5! A thunderstorm was brewing,but we still decided to go out in the rain. We wanted to find Pops, a Costa Rican ice cream chain that Megan fell in love with when she lived there.

One wrong turn, and a detour into Burger King so L could use the bathroom, and we were at Pops. The chocoalmendra (chocolate & almond) was a big hit with L. She was basically drinking the melted ice cream out of the cup.

We walked around a little more. Hit a couple of book stores on the main plaza. Tried to listen to a band play -- but L didn't like them (I think it was the Andean pipes that turned her off). Picked up some essentials and then home.

Played in the courtyard with L for a while. Megan was chatting online with her boyfriend, Willie. Then L & I ate the leftovers from lunch on the portico outside the room. L had a fun time waving at Megan through the window and running into to say hi to Megan (and Willie via webcam).

L went down for bed pretty easily. It has been a busy, eventful, and very nice day.

Tomorrow we get another day of lovely Antigua.

No comments:

Post a Comment